Sunday, July 2

Living echoes

Lord speak to me that I may speak in living echoes of Thy tone;
As Thou has sought, so let me seek Thine erring children, lost and lone.

O strengthen me, that while I stand firm on the Rock and strong in Thee,
I may stretch out a loving hand to wrestlers with the troubled sea.

O teach me, Lord, that I may teach the precious things Thou dost impart;
And wing my words that they may reach the hidden depths of many a heart.

O fill me with Thy fullness, Lord, until my very heart o'erflow;
In kindling tho't and glowing word, Thy love to tell, Thy praise to show.


Ahh, such poetry in some of the old hymns!
I was thinking of this one today and thought I might share it. There's so many good ones...

5 Comments:

Blogger Josh said...

You are right...it is so powerful. I was just thinking of how powerful some of our older songs are but they don't reach our hearts as quickly as many of the ones written today because the wording is so different from our grammar today. But they are still powerful.

23/7/06 4:11 PM  
Blogger April said...

Liz,
I just want you to know that I am sooo excited to come visit you! Clint and I can't wait! :)

26/7/06 6:53 AM  
Blogger thegermanygirl said...

I miss the old hymns, too. We sing some of them in German over here...but it's just not the same as singing them in the language they were written in, the language I grew up singing them in....

(*sigh* It always seems to come back to some TCK aspect with me.) ;oP

C.

15/8/06 5:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5/2/07 9:50 AM  
Anonymous Robert said...

Thanks for reminding your readers of Frances Havergal's great hymn. It was written on this date, 138 years ago.

If you enjoy reading about our hymns and their authors, I invite you to check out my daily blog on the subject, Wordwise Hymns.

28/4/10 9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home