Monday, March 27

Citizen Cail

Well, this will be the end of a very busy month indeed. We have had 3 visits in as many weeks by people from the States- including one of Kevin's brothers, my parents, and a campaign group from Lipscomb. These were each special for their own reason, and, of course, brought a good excuse to do some sightseeing.
Although such visits are always enjoyable and refreshing, they tend to disturb the delicate balance of culture that I keep. This naturally brings my attention back (and sometimes more sharply than I would like) to the fact that I do not belong here. It's been a long and somewhat uncomfortable adjustment into another culture, and now that I'm feeling more relaxed and effective, half of my time is already gone. In not too many more months, it'll be time to adjust back to being an oklahoman again. Being bicultural is great, but once you've seen outside your own fences, you will never fully return to your former self. This isn't a bad thing, but it can be a little saddening. But, that's not what I'm talking about.
Cultural adjustment is hard because we don't really belong in any culture. This is not the end we were created for, and maybe only when my cultural identity is in flux can I really appreciate what it means to place our citizenship in heaven.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tabs said...

Good words, Liz. I have a tendancy to forget that this is not my home and that it is okay to not feel completely comfortable here. Thanks for sharing and for the reminder that we have a much better home to look forward to. And I bet it won't be hard to adjust there either. :)

27/3/06 1:36 PM  
Blogger amy nickerson said...

Couldn't have said it better. I have really BIG moments when I realize, wow...I'm definitely NOT German. It usually is almost every day when I mess something up speaking German! Anyway, I also know that I'll never be the Amy who left here 2 years ago. I've been completely changed through this experience. It's in those moments when I also realize that being comfortable here on earth is not what we're meant for.

27/3/06 4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. »

7/2/07 6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home