Friday, November 4

On being away from home

Yes, this is a lovely place indeed. Do I feel at home here? No. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever feel at home anywhere again, even after safely returned to my family and friends in Oklahoma. Nevertheless, God is good, and is so obviously taking care of me. I got a job yesterday (finally!), at a lovely little coffee shop about 100 yards from my front door, thanks to Alan from church. Today I'm off to Edinburgh to meet Trey and Lily-- and in fact, should be getting on the road soon, so I leave you with this. Hope you all have a nice weekend!

The Christian doctrine of suffering explains, I believe, a very curious fact about the world we live in. The settled happiness and security which we all desire, God withholds from us by the very nature of the world: but joy, pleasure, and merriment, He has scattered broadcast. We are never safe, but we have plenty of fun, and some ecstasy. It is not hard to see why. The security we crave would teach us to rest our hearts in this world and oppose an obstacle to our return to God: a few moments of happy love, a landscape, a symphony, a merry meeting with our friends, a bathe or a football match, have no such tendency. Our father refreshes us on the journey with some pleasant inns, but will not encourage us to mistake them for home.
- from The Problem of Pain

9 Comments:

Blogger Peter Rice said...

Keep reading Professor Lewis. That man was amazing.

4/11/05 4:56 AM  
Blogger babyblueeyed girl said...

hey you
im sorry you dont feel at home
i hope you find comfort soon
and i know God is with you
and remeber you people who love
you and praying for you
and i hope you feel at home soon
i love you

6/11/05 1:40 PM  
Blogger Blakewell said...

Perhaps that is why you'll never feel quite at home again as well. You might never have been meant to feel at home on this world.

But, all the same, when you return we'll all have a big hug for you and plenty of good times to be had. :)

6/11/05 4:17 PM  
Blogger amy nickerson said...

Being an "alien" in a foreign country does serve to remind us that as Christian's we're all aliens in this world. I've felt some extreme discomfort in Dresden at times and my best way of getting through it was to remind myself to not live in the past but live in the present. And like you said, God will continue to take care of you.

7/11/05 5:14 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

"This world is not my home; I'm just 'a passin' through..."

The message of that song is sometimes lost in the Dixieland rhythm. But the point is made, we are not home. I like referring to our place on earth as an inn. I pray that you are enjoying your Scotland inn, and I look forward to seeing you in your Oklahoman inn at Christmas. See ya Liz.

8/11/05 6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also think that we are not supposed to feel at home in this world. This nagging discomfort reminds us who we are, who is our source of strength, and deepens our longing for our heavenly home. But I also find this discomfort to be somewhat freeing because I am no longer confined to the borders of a physical country. God's grace has united me to countless citizens of his kingdom!

I hope you enjoyed your time in Edinburgh.

8/11/05 8:18 PM  
Blogger panajonathan said...

Thanks for the other-worldly wisdom! I'm glad you're doing well in Scotland! We miss you around here but I'm glad you're doing great things there and learning and growing in the Lord! Take care! God bless you!

15/11/05 11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. »

5/2/07 11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Haynes vw passat http://www.hockeyposter.info/celebrating-soccer.html Unpublished mbt shoe Buy dreampharmaceuticals.com online propecia Illinois boat accident attorney fluoxetine withdrawal fiat punto eksploatacja

16/2/07 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home